Most all of us have tried some sort of cleanse; decongesting the body and its systems is very important. But, what most of us have never done, or even heard of, is a fertility cleanse for the reproductive organs. Keeping the pathways open for blood, chi, oxygen and lymph flow is vital to a balanced and healthy reproductive system. This is why cleansing and balancing this system should be done at least once per year regardless of what phase of life you are in.
Fertility cleansing is nothing new. For centuries cultures have used various healing techniques, such as abdominal and pelvic massage, herbal remedies and decoctions and foods to address stagnation and dysfunction, increase libido and enhance fertility. These cultures viewed reproductive vitality as the source of power and sign of optimal health and longevity. In fact, fertility cleansing was a life long practice. Even though the body loses its ability to create new life due to age, it never loses the ability, or desire, to “birth” creativity and connection. This is why my dear teacher, Dr. Rosita Arvigo, still does her Maya abdominal care well into her 70’s.
Fast forward and our bodies have not changed in the desire for attention to this vital power source. However, our exposure to toxins, which clog our vital organs, has greatly increased. Medications, cigarette smoke, environmental chemicals, alcohol and poor diet all challenge the liver. For instance, when the liver is stagnant and clogged our hormones cannot move and communicate freely within our bodies causing dysfunction in our reproductive health. With fertility challenges, hormone imbalances, cancers and reproductive system specific surgeries on the rise there is great need for non-invasive healing and nourishment.
Who does a Fertility Cleanse help?
- Have painful menses and PMS
- Have irregular cycles or amenorrhea (absence of menses)
- Have cysts, fibroids, PCOS
- Want to prepare for a healthy pregnancy
- Are preparing for IVF or IUI reproductive assistance
- Want to re-nourish their fertile organs post- partum (post pregnancy)
- Have had an IUD removal or stopped any HRT (hormone replacement/birth control therapy)
- Are going through menopause
- Who want to simply be healthy and abundant in their creative life
- Have low libido
- Have BPH (benign prostatic hypertrophy)- read more here…
- Urinary incontinence and/or painful urination
- ED (erectile dysfunction)
How Does a Fertility Cleanse Work?
It all begins with what specifically needs to be addressed. Although the therapies used are much the same, the administration of them will vary from person to person. For instance a woman preparing for a healthy pregnancy will most likely use herbs, foods and massage at very specific times in the month- for up to 3- months to balance the system. Whereas a man who is addressing prostate health and libido may require a slightly shorter duration of fertility cleanse sessions, herbs and foods
How Long is the Cleanse?
I recommend a minimum of 2-3 months. This allows for at least 4 sessions of hands on abdominal therapy to retrain the nervous system. If you are planning on conceiving, 3 months is recommended as it is the time it takes for a new egg to mature. By cleansing and nourishing you are setting the stage for a healthy pregnancy. If you are not conceiving, this is a great time to begin new projects and project desires as our reproductive organs house our creative energy.
Therapies and Healing Techniques Used and Recommended (varies)
- Maya Abdominal Massage (look for an Arvigo Maya Abdominal Practitioner here)
- Self-massage at home
- Herbal remedies designed to nourish and cleanse the liver and reproductive organs
- Dietary and lifestyle recommendations and support
- Castor oil packs
- Vaginal steams or sitz bath
As with any cleanse or detoxification program you always want to ensure that you are providing your body with a way to eliminate the toxins that will be stirred up. Proper digestive function is vital. If digestion is an issue than incorporating ways to assist the bowel elimination process is necessary. In addition, sweating and moving your body will keep your lymphatic system draining and your largest organ of elimination (your skin) clear.
Is Fertility Cleansing for Everyone?
Most everyone can benefit and you don’t necessarily have to wait until your body is out of balance to improve yourself. However, there are certain scenarios where the therapies are not recommended…
- If you are pregnant (although Maya Abdominal Massage is amazing for uterine strength and positioning throughout the entire pregnancy within practical and safe guidelines)
- If you have an IUD (herbal and dietary recommendations can still be used as well as upper abdominal massage only)
- When taking hormone replacement therapy (HRTs) hormone balancing herbs should not be taken
- If you have prostate cancer or any sign of fever with prostate swelling
- Any acute infection or pain in the abdomen or pelvis
- Only for (and recommended) 6 weeks post surgery